Now that you have created a website for your business and plan to run it, you have to decide whether you want a dedicated web server or a web hosting solution. Mainly if you are not a big enterprise, it is safe to say that you will be opting for a web hosting solution instead of having a dedicated server unless you have that considerable capital to accommodate it.
But before you decide whether to opt for VPS to Virtual Private Server, go through this article to answer some of the burning questions you might have. Furthermore, the field of a virtual private server is like a battlefield for a newbie, where one will hear a glossary of terms and acronyms.
It is also very likely you will get confused about whether you should opt for VPS hosting or go for a dedicated server for your website. However, as a beginner’s guide to virtual private server VPS, we are sure this article will put most of the queriers to rest and enable you to decide how, when, and why you should opt for a shared hosting service for your website.
What VPS Means
Let’s begin with what VPS or Virtual Private Server means. In simple terms, it is a web hosting solution, in which on the webserver a space to provide to you for a price. The web server is typically leased to the clients and owned by a service provider.
The web server or the parent server is a powerful computer that stores the client’s website files and data. When the users type the domain name on the web browser, the VPS parent hosting server will display the client’s server on the user’s screen.
As the name suggests, VPS uses virtualization as a technology, in which a single powerful server is split into multiple virtual servers, hosting different websites for the clients. Furthermore, the VPS hosting servers gives you privacy; that is, the virtual server is solely for you. Hence you do not have to share the CPU, RAM, or any data with other users.
In VPS hosting, the users get guaranteed resources dedicated to their websites only, thus getting an environment that offers more stable hosting with little to no fluctuation.
How Does a VPS Work
As mentioned earlier, VPS hosting provides a stable working space. It is worth knowing how VPS works to be better positioned as a client to selector whether you should opt for VPS.
In VPS, you get the experience of working on a dedicated server, while in reality, the machine is being shared by multiple users. The virtualisation technology used in the web hosting offered by the parent server for VPS installs a virtual layer of the operating system on top of the server. The layer is used for dividing the servers into several partitions. This enables the website owners using the VPS service to install their own software and Operating System, thus emulating the effect of using private servers.
Someone offering VPS hosting can offer the website owners complete control of their website with a secure container with better resources like disk space, memory, CPU cores, security of data, etc.
VPS hosting offers you the same benefits at the basic level that a dedicated server would, but it more cost-effective.
In an attempt to understand the benefits of VPS, we need to see how it is different from other forms of hosting, i.e.
- Shared Hosting
- Dedicated Hosting
- Cloud Hosting
- WordPress Hosting
We will, however, focus primarily on the differences that VPS has with Shared Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting. The primary reason to focus on these two instead of Cloud Hosting and WordPress Hosting is that Cloud Hosting used a cluster to run the website. Companies often combine cloud Hosting and VPS Hosting to offer better solutions and enhanced performance. WordPress Hosting is exclusively offered to WordPress site owners, where the servers are configured for WordPress services only. It can also be categorised under shared hosting services.
VPS Hosting Vs Shared Hosting
Virtual Private Servers hosting is different from Shared hosting, while most website owners start with shared hosting solutions, and as the business grows, many upgrades to VPS hosting.
As a beginner guide to virtual private servers hosting solution, Shared hosting can be viewed like someone living in an apartment complex that is furnished and cheap to begin with, and you have all the basic equipment you need to move in. VPS hosting is more like you have the apartment block for yourself, with more equipment and space than an apartment complex, i.e. Shared Hosting.
In shared hosting, a control panel is made available to the clients to manage their website, while skilled professionals host the environment. Furthermore, shared hosting has limited room and bandwidth for scaling, which also slows down when there is a traffic spike.
All these factors are answered by VPS hosting, where you have more control over the space and applications to install. Often, website owners stick to virtual private servers throughout their businesses because it is less costly than a dedicated server but gives them the freedom that shared hosting lacked.
VPS Vs Dedicated Server
Unlike in Virtual Private Server hosting, where you share the central server with others, you rent the entire physical server for your enterprise in a dedicated server solution. This option is feasible only if you have a website that draws high traffic, maybe something over 500,000 visitors every month.
A dedicated server will allow the exclusively hired technical staff to maintain and optimise it as per your business requirement. A dedicated server is much more flexible, fast, and customisable. While in shared hosting, you cannot customise the software, unlike VPS hosting, where you can configure the operating system and the application used in the server.
Dedicated hosting is more powerful and customisable, as mentioned earlier since it allows you to configure the hardware and the software. It also offers immense security, unlike any other.
Since it is yours to run, you need to hire separate experts to work on the dedicated server as you do not have a professional hosting team with troubleshooting skills to look after your server.
Benefits of VPS
Now that we know the difference between each hosting server service let’s briefly overview the benefits of a VPS hosting package for a website.
- Compared to a dedicated server, VPS hosting is more cost-efficient.
- VPS is a step up for website owners who are using shared hosting
- Unlike in shared hosting with VPS hosting, the user can gain root access to the server. It enables the user to install different applications and alter them without having to contact the VPS hosting service provider.
- Every VPS server can use either Windows or Linux as its operating systems to run the website’s software and applications.
- With VPS, you can upgrade the server resources like CPU, RAM, disk space, and bandwidth.
- With cloud VPS formation, easy and fast migration from shared hosting is possible.
VPS service providers can be viewed as a hybrid operating system that balances a Dedicated Server and Shared Hosting advantages.
Apart from these, VPS hosting offers:
- Reliable performance
- Security of data
- Easy server backup
VPS hosting service can be beneficial for a wide range of activities apart from just hosting your website. In the next section, we will look into some uses of virtual private servers.
What Is a VPS Server Used For
As part of the guide to virtual private servers hosting solution or VPS, we will also look into some used cases. It will give you a better understanding of the wide spectrum of use that VPS has to offer.
- Host the personal server to offer a host of online activities outside the hosting of the website.
- You can test the new application on VPS that you can customise to create a server environment apt for the application without having to spend much like one has to do in dedicated server hosting.
- VPS combining with cloud hosting solution offers better storage facility of the files while ensuring data security. The cloud services included in the VPS hosting package also allows you to create a backup and access them easily.
- You can use VPS environments to experiment and improve a range of your skills like creating applications, working with programming languages, learn the techniques to run a web server, etc.
- Use VPS to control all the items that are connected to the Internet of Things.
- You can use VPS to increase the knowledge of operating systems and how to administer them.
- Install VPN on VPS to ensure data security
- You can also host your VoIP on a virtual private server to make calls over the Internet.
- Avoid hosted email costs when you have VPS for your business.
- Use it for Game Server for a much lesser price than a dedicated server.
When To Start With Virtual Private Server?
As part of a guide to virtual private servers for beginners, one should also know when to start with VPS in case you are already are concerned about the following:
- Security of the websites
- High traffic volume experienced by the websites
- Hard drive space that is causing the slowing down of the websites
- The security of the websites that has an online store
- You require to have customised software services for your website.
- Suppose you are getting errors like ‘Service Unavailable’ ‘Internal Server Error’ or any of the 50X errors on the site. The visitors on the website are likely experiencing the same, and all these errors are hosting server issues, and with an online business, you cannot afford to have it, so upgrade to VPS.
- You are on a budget but want to increase and improve the security, bandwidth, RAM at an affordable price, VPS hosting work can be an option.
- If you need enough RAM space to host and build domains for your client’s website as a website designer or builder, you should opt for VPS hosting option.
So with VPS, it is time to move out of the apartment into the apartment block, so enjoy more freedom with your website.
Best Cloud VPS Provider
As a VPS beginner and an owner of a website, you are one of those wondering how to select the best cloud VPS provider; here are some tips for enjoying the freedom that VPS offers.
RAM & CPU of the VPS
Both the factors will be impacting your website, so buy a VPS hosting plan that will suit your business and causes you less downtime and untimely interruption. Ensure that you select ca cloud VPS provider that offers availability and high speed.
VPS provider must offer a user-friendly control panel for the administration and allows you to have complete access to the various features to enhance your website’s performance.
Part of the guide to ensure you have the best cloud VPS provider is to have a hosting service that offers regular data backup, a solid infrastructure, and the option for quick recovery and restoration in case of a crash.
Ensure that the VPS hosting provider has IT staff qualified and experienced who can regularly monitor the server and troubleshoot any technical issue.
Selecting the right operating system is one of the most important factors when finding the best cloud VPS service. As a beginner, you might not have an issue updating the Windows OS, but it is quite different with you are using VPS. As a user, you need to find a hosting provider that knows different operating systems and the OS level who can help you to configure it as per your business’ online site requirement.
You can also select the hosting service based on Managed VPS and Unmanaged VPS. There is also the option of having a Cloud VPS hosting solution based on the Customer support it may or may not provide depending on your requirement.
Wrapping it Up
As a user, you must compare each other, that is, hosting services, and find the one that suits your site requirement. Furthermore, when you decide to select VPS as your hosting provider, you must understand how it works and how it can help your site as a web host.